Experienced Level Designer with a wealth of knowledge working to envision and design captivating worlds and engaging gameplay within. Making the best use of a strong understanding of Design principles, and a creative background in Art. Employing the skills acquired over 17 years working in the computer games industry. Collaborative working relationships alongside teams of multiple disciplines to craft imaginative or realistic, and game balanced environments with attention paid to the details. Allowing the player to become immersed in richly compelling and rewarding environments of game play.
- Accomplished Senior Multiplayer & Single Player Level Designer
- Former 3D Environment Artist.
- Work experience in Unreal / MAYA / 3D Max / Photoshop / Perforce / JIRA / Confluence
- Strong Senior Leadership role taken to strengthen team members skillsets.
- Self-motivated, team oriented candidate with experience in shipping successful AAA games.
- Successful Coordination of job responsibilities while working under tight / short deadlines.
- Former Art Director / Creative Director.
- Accomplished Commercial Designer & Illustrator.
Wargaming Seattle – Senior Level Designer
Unannounced – Free to Play MMO ( PC )
- Primary duties involved the research, design, and creation of sandbox maps for 30 players, and their various military vehicles. Designing to ensure each vehicle and its dedicated role had an equal opportunity to make the most of its abilities and have a chance to survive and succeed.
- Early and continuing tasks involved working closely with engineers to research and develop the necessary tools to building a new level editor in step with a new engine being built.
- Tasked with creating numerous test maps exploring various elements of game play considerations and map balancing. Worked with the Design and Vehicle and Engineering teams, to meet their needs, implementing and testing new feature introductions.
- Created a large variety of sandbox maps for game play across 4 biomes and varying skill levels. Quickly bringing rough white box maps into playing ability for play testing. Gathering feedback and implementing potential changes and improvements to the map going forward.
- Chaperoning and working closely with the Art Team as they concept, decorate and polish each phase of their art pass to completion.
- Documentation of a map’s wiki pages outlining design and game play intent. Managing reference material in the many aspects of the map’s environment, across multiple disciplines. Additional documentation to assist Level Design team with tutorials and best practices.
- As an experienced Senior Designer it was my responsibility to work with the Junior Designers. To teach and encourage them in assisting with their development of skills.
Irrational Games – Sub-contracted Level Designer
BIOSHOCK INFINITE – FPS ( XBOX 360, PS3, PC )
- Senior Level Designer working on-site with the Bioshock Infinite Design team. Single Player Level design & scripting of AI combat engagements through level progression.
- Game play and general mission scripting in UE3, relating to Narrative Design requirements.
- Ensuring events, player navigation, and game play scripting worked as expected. Bug fixing and Kismet cleanup.
TimeGate Studios – Senior Level Designer
ALIENS: COLONIAL MARINES – FPS ( XBOX 360, PS3, PC )
SECTION 8 ( XBOX 360, PC )
SECTION 8: PREJUDICE –FPS ( XBOX 360, PS3, PC )
- Principle Level Designer on the team credited with creating the environment and game play highlighted in the ‘E3’ Demo Walk Through Presentation.
- Utilizing Unreal 3 Engine/Editor. Designing & developing Single Player campaign levels and game play from concept through Art hand-off. Including world design, scripting Combat/AI design, NPC’s, and Narrative scripting.
- Mission Scripting – Working with lead team and script writer to draw up and layout world design in unison to story and Art direction. Scripting game play, including Combat and Narrative scripting. Mission Scripting, level streaming, checkpoints, etc, and Matinee for initial IGE creations. Later working with the Animation team to polish.
- Designing & developing both Multi Player Maps and Single Player Levels. Including World Building and scripting Combat/AI encounters for Sci-Fi FPS: Utilizing Unreal 3 Engine/Editor
- Creation of Map Design documentation outlining map overview, game play intent, navigation, mission scenario, art concepts, reference images, map specific assets needed, etc.
- Communicating across Departments discussing game play and Art ideas, and to ensure all variables work as expected. Chaperoning levels through each Art pass to polish.
- Mentoring Junior Level Designers through guidance and teaching best practices.
Propaganda Games – Level Designer
TUROK FPS ( XBOX 360, PS3 )
- Designing & developing Single Player campaign levels from concept through release. Initial game play design and scripting of Combat, NPC’s, and IGE’s, utilizing Unreal 3 Engine/Editor.
- Use of UE3’s Kismet for scripting game play, narrative elements, level streaming, checkpoints, etc, and Matinee for In-Game-Events. Worked with Art, VFX, Lighting, and Audio teams in planning for needs as map was developed.
- Mission Scripting – Working with lead team to draw up and layout world design in unison to story and Art direction. Scripting game play, including Combat and Narrative scripting.
CE Digital Illusions: DICE Canada
Battlefield 2; “Special Forces”, “Euro Force”, “Armored Fury” (PC)
Battlefield 1942:Secret Weapons of World War II (PC)
- Designing and creating maps for Multiplayer game play and environments.
- Level development from concept into blocking out, and through iterations to complete polish.
- Creation of Gray box degree of game play environment art, working in MAYA.
- Used Terrigen and Photoshop to polish the finished look of the level terrain maps.
- Careful development of maps for balanced game play including control points, player & vehicle spawns, pick-ups, focused combat points, and equal opportunity for all to succeed.
- Managing game play needs with careful attention to detail in conveying a sense of realism.
- Detailed documentation related to specific map’s design intent, aesthetics and needs across multiple teams.
-3D Vehicle & Environment Artist
Battlefield 2 (PC)
Battlefield 1942:Secret Weapons of World War II (PC)
Midtown Madness 3 (Xbox)
- Created military vehicles and level environment art using 3D Max.
- Texture creation and mapping.
- Lead team visiting Washington D.C. to record the city as reference to creating the world space.
- Designed game play unique to the game character’s abilities.
- Configured and modeled AI meshes and streaming portals.
Former Advertising Artist / Designer
Seventeen years of experience in commercial and graphic arts design, illustration, conception and development of advertising, corporate identity, point of purchase, promotional, and publishing. Held positions of Coordinator, Creative Director, and Art Director.
- Bell Center for Creative Communications, Centennial College
- Completed Certificate course in 3D Art & animation. Studies included, Alias Wavefront / Maya, and Side Effects / Houdini. Also story-boarding, lighting, texturing, sound, editing, compositing.
- Associates Degree, Visual Communications, Art Institute of Pittsburgh
- Continuing education courses and seminars in software applications to enhance skills and follow software updates and advancements.